Sunday, November 18, 2012

25 Things I'm Thankful For

Meet Jack. 
We started a new tradition with our young family this November.  Every evening, when we sit down for dinner, we each say one thing we're grateful for and write it on a construction paper, turkey feather. Then we post it on our poster board turkey, Jack, who hangs on the wall in our dining room.  His feathers increase with each dinner.  The picture to the right was taken after the first night of feathering.  My husband says he looks like a peanut.  We couldn't bring Jack with us to my in laws house, but yes, we brought our feathers and have tried to keep up with filling them out each evening.  I think we're 2 for 5... 

Side note: My daughter Kayla says she's thankful for mommy each night.  It melts my heart, girls. Especially because she's 2 1/2 and throws multiple tantrums with me, and seemingly, at me every day.  We're working on it.  

Anyway, I tell you that to introduce a list of 25 things I'm thankful for. Don't get me wrong with this post.  I have plenty of things I could gripe and complain about.  Plenty of things that, in moments, I am not grateful for.  However, I have learned over time that to focus on those things causes my spirit to regress.   And in reality, I truly have many more things to be grateful for. 

What about you?  What are you thankful for?  If you can spare 5 minutes, I encourage you to write a list of 25 things and keep it somewhere you can revisit.  Pull it out any time as a reminder of God's gracious hand in your life.  Especially on those days when you can't seem to pull yourself out of the pit of self-pity, dispair and regret. Take heart friends, we have so much to be grateful for!  Veggie Tales says it best... "A thankful heart is a happy heart."

Here goes...

  1. My husband's determined commitment to Christ
  2. The Lord's grace
  3. Our children
  4. Our home
  5. Sisters in Christ to process life with
  6. A healthy, working body (I mean, as far as I know:))
  7. My mother
  8. My In-Laws (yes, I said it and it's true)
  9. Salvation
  10. Judah's bright eyes and smile
  11. Simeon's desire to please his parents and God
  12. Jada's in depth pretending with her dolls 
  13. Kayla's shoulder shrugging, wrist twisting and eye brow raising when she talks
  14. Starbucks
  15. Mop's
  16. Mentors (you know who you are:))
  17. My two sisters
  18. Safety in travel
  19. Music
  20. Reading and writing (may seem odd, but I truly enjoy both)
  21. Beauty (In every sense of the word)
  22. Netflix :)
  23. Freedom from sin 
  24. Unconditional love
  25. Chocolate and peanut butter... one of the world's greatest combinations
There you have it.  I simply listed what came to mind.  You can do it too and my heart is joyful as I close. I hope yours will be too!


O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Yes, I have a good inheritance.  Psalm 16:5-6

Bless the Lord, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.  Psalm 103:1-5





No comments:

Post a Comment